Summary: Clifford Chance is one of the world’s leading law firms, helping clients achieve their goals by combining the highest global standards with local expertise. The firm has unrivalled scale and depth of legal resources across the three key markets of the Americas, Asia and Europe and focuses on the core areas of commercial activity: capital markets; corporate and M&A; finance and banking; real estate; tax; pensions and employment; litigation and dispute resolution. Clifford Chance has 33 offices in 23 countries and 3,300 legal advisers.
Clifford Chance Abu Dhabi is completely integrated, and supported, by our global network. Working closely with leading local firms across the region, we advise clients on significant transactions and disputes in the Middle East and beyond.
We have a preeminent Construction and Projects practice in the region and internationally and can offer our lawyers the chance to develop their careers through advising on some of the most significant and highest profile deals in the Middle East and further afield.
The Work: In Abu Dhabi or Dubai, our Construction and Projects team advises on the region’s largest and the region’s largest and most complex transactions across all major industry sectors, with a particular focus on real estate developments, oil and gas (up-, mid- and downstream), power and water (including renewables) and major infrastructure. For strategic and relation reasons, we tend to act for project developers and lenders, but also occasionally represent government bodies and contractors. We also support projects undertaken outside the ME region by outbound regional clients and are active contributors to the firm’s flourishing African projects practice.
Key Attractions:You will be part of a strong and cohesive construction and projects group in the region and internationally. The directories say:
“I find that the work the team does is some of the best I’ve come across. They’re very client-oriented and provide care and attention to detail.”
Chambers Global 2018: Construction, UAE
‘The team has a lot of knowledge of the UAE (in particular, local cultural issues and requirements) and of the oil and gas sector in the Middle East.’
Legal 500 2021: Construction UAE
‘The team’s technical knowledge enables in-house counsel’s technical colleagues to converse directly with the team.’
Legal 500 2021: Construction UAE
“Dedicated construction practice that works across the region on matters in a large array of sectors, with a strong focus on oil and gas and renewable energy mandates.”
Chambers Global 2017: Construction, UAE
“Clients express praise for ‘the leadership abilities and professional background’ of the key lawyers.”
Chambers Global 2017: Construction: UAE
“Offers a superb team in the UAE with an excellent track record in high-value disputes.”
Chambers Global 2017: Dispute Resolution, Middle East
“They’re excellent; they are very much with it, they implement measures fast and efficiently. What they have achieved is quite revolutionary.”
Chambers Global 2017: Dispute Resolution, UAE
You will work on leading deals for top tier clients. The range, calibre and international scope of our deal flow is unique – and makes us stand out from our competitors. Recent deal highlights include:
- advising sponsors on two wind IPPs in Jordan, and on the first wind IPP in Egypt
- advising the project financiers on waste to energy plants in Sharjah, UAE.
- advising Aldar Properties on its AED 3.7 billion acquisition of real estate assets from Tourism Development and Investment Company PJSC (TDIC).
- advising on a 200MW solar PV project in Jordan, and the 800MW DEWA 3 solar PV project in the UAE.
- advising the developer on the development of a major entertainment, sporting and cultural district in Saudi Arabia.
- advising the developer on the construction of an integrated power and desalination plant in Oman.
- advising SABIC on the EPCM contract for multi-site refinery revamp projects.
- representing an offshore wind developer in ICC arbitration against one of its main contractors relating to the construction of an offshore wind farm.
- advising the employer in disputes arising out of a major refinery upgrade project.
- advising the employer in relation to disputes arising out of a refinery construction project.
We are committed to working with clients as integrated team members – which means that, from day one, our lawyers have hands-on client contact.
We are proud of our reputation for being a very informal, supportive, meritocratic and diverse group and reinforce this with regular social events – both ad hoc and organised.
We run a sophisticated internal training programme including local monthly courses run by The Academy.
Our remuneration package is one of the most attractive in the market.
Key Responsibilities: The role will largely involve:
- assisting in the drafting and negotiation of the full spectrum of construction documentation (from building contracts and professional appointments to EPC contracts and technology licences) and project documentation (including concessions, PPAs, PWPAs, LTSAs, O&Ms, and feedstock supply);
- reviewing project documentation from a bankability perspective;
- advising on procurement strategy; and
- taking responsibility for developing relationships with key clients and mentoring more junior members of the team.
You will be given the chance to handle a variety of work. From an early stage in your career at Clifford Chance you will be expected to take responsibility for working closely with clients and be responsible for managing elements of the transaction. This means that you will have the opportunity to develop strong transaction management and organisational skills as well as developing superb technical abilities.
Skills & Experience: The market leading Middle East Construction and Projects team currently seeks a mid-level construction lawyer with high-quality academic and professional credentials. Sector and regional experience will be an advantage but is not a necessity, given the training and professional development support available.
- The successful candidate will have a solid track record of working on predominantly front-end construction matters.
- Although not essential, contentious construction experience and familiarity with FIDIC forms of contract would set a candidate apart from others.
- You should demonstrate strong communication and analytical skills and a high level of commercial awareness.
- A minimum of a medium-term commitment to the region is also essential.
Selection for recruitment is undertaken irrespective of race, gender, colour, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, or disability. This assumes that all applicants are fit and able to undertake the job.
Selection decisions, and the reasons for those decisions, are evidenced in writing at each stage of the selection process.
Competency based selection criteria and, where appropriate, technical skills tests are in place to measure an individual’s ability for the competent, safe and effective performance of a job.
Training and guidance in administering equal opportunities is provided to all those involved in recruitment, selection and dealing with the public.
**Please note Agencies are not being instructed on this role, any applications submitted via Agencies or speculative CVs received will be treated as a direct application.
: United Arab Emirates-Abu Dhabi-Abu Dhabi
: Abu Dhabi 9th Floor, Al Sila Tower, Abu Dhabi Global Market Square Airport Road Abu Dhabi
: Day Job
: Jul 12, 2021
: Oct 11, 2021, 1:59:00 AM